• Nano-ceramic coating is an electrochemical coating which transforms the surface of aluminium and its alloys into an Al2O3 ceramic layer
  • It gives the treated surface high resistance to wear and corrosion
  • Non-toxic, low environmental impact
  • Components can be recycled at the end of their life span
  • Wide range of treatable geometries

Typical treatable aluminium alloys 2000, 6000, 7000 series:

  • High hardness and wear resistance
  • Possibility of being used as is or worked to obtain surface finishes to design
  • Excellent heat exchange thanks to the continuity of the phases between the coating and the aluminium substrate
  • Excellent thermal protection (protects against thermal corrosion from flames or electrical arcs)
  • Excellent electrical insulation
  • Lightweight
  • Exceptionally adherent to substrate
  • Very high resistance to corrosion
  • Multiple degrees of achievable finish
  • Reduced tooling costs
  • Good control of deposited thickness between 20 and 100 microns
  • The increase in the size of the pieces is estimated at around 25% of the deposited thickness, the remaining 75% is spread in the material

LIMITATIONS

  • Not applicable on die-cast products
  • Currently, the maximum area that can be treated is 3.2 square dm
  • The surfaces to be coated, as for any electrochemical treatment, must be exposed to the electrically charged solution, therefore it is difficult to make small holes, very narrow geometries and small diameter pipes
  • For very low roughness, mechanical intervention is required
  • Alloys of different composition differ in colour after processing

The following are three ‘levels’ of finish that can be obtained with post-treatment:

  • Ra< 0.05 Um (diamond polishing) μm.
  • Ra 0.15 to 0.2 Um (‘S-Finish’) μ
  • Ra 0.20 to 0.35 Um (‘R-Finish’) μ

Excellent adhesion:

Being an electrochemical transformation of the base material, the Nano-ceramic coating layer establishes strong bonds of adhesion with the substrate.

These bonding energies are much higher than those found on a traditional ceramic plasma coating or other chemical or electrolytic coatings.